Click here to download a copy of the Complete Rules and Regulations
- FIH rules. For a refresher, check out the official Rules of Hockey including explanations.
- Two officials per game (rated Level II and up)
*reminder* FIH RULE CHANGES
Basically, there are 3 big ones:
- On long hits for the attack, the restart is now NOT on the sideline but at the 25-yd line as opposed to where the ball went out over the endline. Ball still has to travel 5 meters before it enters the circle.
- Fouls that happen between the 16-yd circle & the broken line do NOT move back to the broken line now, but rather taken at the spot of the foul! The ball still has to move 5 meters, with a dribble or pass BEFORE it enters the circle. So it must move laterally or back first.
- On penalty corners, any body that breaks the line on offense or defense prior to the ball being released is sent back to the 50, and must go back AGAIN if another corner is called as a re-do! If the corner is over (ball comes out of the circle a 2nd time), then everyone can come back.
- Shin guards and mouthguards are required
- Two face masks will be available behind the nets during corners
- The winner of the game gets three points
- In case of a regular season tie, each team gets one point
The ranking for placement at The Championship A'Fair shall be decided in the following order:
- The total number of points
- Most goals scored
- The total goal difference of the teams concerned
- Goals against
Note: In case of a team forfeiting a game, the winner will be granted a 3-0 win, granting the non-forfeiting team an advantage in total goals scored.
REGULAR SEASON & QUARTERFINALS
- Two 25 minute halves, running time
- 4 minute halftime
- One game per week
PLAYOFFS SEMIFINALS & CHAMPIONSHIP GAME
- 5 minute warm-up
- Two 30 minute halves, running time
- 5 minute halftime
- Elimination games
- In the event of a tie:
- Shootouts, best of 5
- Shootouts, elimination after that (no players repeat until after cycling through roster)
Players must have exhausted NCAA eligibility (or have no conflict)
11 on 11 including a goalie
Up to three men allowed as field players.
- Goalies DO NOT count towards maximum tally of men on the field
- Kicking backs (in lieu of a goalie) are considered a field player and DO count as one of total men on field, if male.
- Subs must check in and sign a release form prior to play
- A field player on a team's roster cannot play for another team (as a sub) without the permission of the opponent prior to start the game
- Goalies on the team rosters are the only players allowed to sub for other teams.
- Only players on the roster including listed approved subs can play in The Championship A'Fair playoffs
- Subs must have played and been registered at two regular season games in order to play in the playoffs. These added approved subs must commit to one team for the duration of the playoffs.
- A minimum of 7 field players plus goalie are required on the field at the start of the game, if not it will be considered a forfeit.
- Subs must be registered as "SUBS" with NEPL (done by signing the liability waiver).
- No alcohol or drugs are permitted on college premises
- Any unsportsmanlike behavior may result in expulsion from the game (at officials or NEPL Representative's discretion)
INCLEMENT WEATHER AND LIGHTING POLICY (APPLICABLE TO ALL NEPL EVENTS)
- We play rain or shine. We will reschedule a game if lighting is in the forecast.
- We will notify Team Managers of any game changes as soon as possible and not later than 5pm the day of the game.
- If lighting is spotted during a game, we will suspend the match and everyone must head to safety and under cover.
- If a game is suspended during the game, it will be considered a completed game if the first half has been played fully. If the suspension happens during the first half, the game will be rescheduled.
- Cancellations due to weather are not refundable
- Once there is less than 30 seconds between the sight of lightning and the sound of thunder, all individuals should be cleared from the field and in a safe location.
- Imminent Lightning: When immediate threat of lightning has subsided go to a safe shelter*.
- (for Dirty Water Tourney Only) Resumption of Activity: There should be 30 minutes between the last sound of thunder and the last flash of lightning before activity is resumed.** The 30 minute clock may be re-set as more activity is heard or seen.
*If at New Balance Field, the safe shelter is below the field in the parking garage structure.
**If at New Balance Field, for evening games, a 30 minute game may extend the game beyond the permitted playing hours (residential ordinance limits use of lights on field beyond 9:30 PM) and as such we may be required to cancel games altogether.